Year 12 | 28 January 2020 | email@example.com
The extra virgin olive oil polyphenols suppress the invasive capacity of bladder cancer cells through the modulation of matrix metalloproteinases. Only an extra virgin young people of high quality, local produced and stored with care preservse maximum biological characteristics and the potential nutraceutical effects
From the italian olive cultivar Itrana the secret to the prevention of bladder cancer. Fundamental, however, the link with the territory and quality raw material to preserve biological characteristics and potential nutraceutical effects.
The study was published in the journal Nutrition and Cancer.
The research was conducted by the Department of Biotechnology and Medical-Surgical of University La Sapienza- Rome, with the contribution from the Italian League the Fight against Cancer (LILT), the Department of Industry of the Province of Latina.
The extra virgin olive oil is made for 95-99% of triglycerides, rich in unsaturated fatty acids, and for a fraction of 0.4 to 5%, said unsaponifiable rich in polyphenolic compounds.
Epidemiological data indicate that regular consumption of extra virgin was associated with a lower occurrence of cancer, including cancer of the bladder, suggesting the potential protective role of the polyphenolic fraction that is concentrated in the urine. Moreover, several studies have shown that phenolic extracts coming from the leaves or from olives, possess the ability to inhibit the growth of several human tumor cell lines.
One of the main causes of death of bladder cancer is the formation of metastases.
"In the study published in Nutrition and Cancer - says Professor Lendaro, Department of Biotechnology and Medical-Surgical of University La Sapienza- Rome - we focused our attention on the anti-migratory and anti-invasive properties of the polyphenolic fraction extracted from extra virgin olive oil, produced in the province of Latina from Olea europea L. cultivars var. Itrana. The cell models used to demonstrate the potential of this mixture are the two cell lines of human bladder carcinoma particularly "aggressive".
The main findings can be summarized as follows:
- Our extracts have a strong biological activity; at doses relatively basic (40 ng / mL) is observed on the selective inhibition of growth of carcinoma cells. In addition, at the same doses, the cells from normal tissue did not undergo any interference in the vital processes.
- A non-toxic doses (10 ng / mL) extracts inhibit cell motility and invasive processes; this effect is only ever directed toward the cancer.
- At the same doses it has a sub-lethal inhibition, selective, the activity of MMPs due to a lower expression of nuclear proteins and to an inhibition of the activity "erosion" of the latter, towards the extracellular matrix.
- In addition, the lower activity of the metal protease is accompanied by a greater production of inhibitors of MMPs same.
The news of this study compared the literature, are:
- Use of bladder carcinoma cell lines,
- The action of inhibition of motility and invasiveness directed only to the tumor cells and not to those of the normal tissue;
- The low doses of the mixture that are able to modulate the activity of migration. This news was also emphasized by one of the foreign auditors in the comments to the work done in our laboratory.
The biological activities observed spontaneously tend to decrease with the process of oil "maturation". If the aging process is done take place under conditions of stress, such as bright, the mixture of polyphenols extracted loses the selectivity of action becoming nonspecific.
This means that only extra virgin olive oils of high quality, local produced and stored with care, preserve maximum biological characteristics and the potential nutraceutical effects.
by T N
30 june 2014, Technical Area > Olive & Oil