Year 12 | 20 January 2020 | email@example.com
"A major step towards limiting overbuilding on agricultural land in order to put an end to a dangerous trend for the country.” This declared the Minister of agricultural food and forestry policies speaking at a press conference held at Palazzo Chigi – at the presence of President Mario Monti - after the Council of Ministers, which approved the bill on promotion of agricultural areas and containment of land consumption.
"Thanks to the measures contained in the bill against the loss of land, approved today by the Council of Ministers, we take a major step towards limiting overbuilding on agricultural land in order to put an end to a dangerous trend for the country. This measure touches sensitive issues, such as land use and its correct management, but it also involves the life of the farms and Italian landscape. It concerns the development model that we propose and imagine for this country in the years to come.”
This declared the Minister of agricultural food and forestry policies, Mario Catania, speaking at a press conference held at Palazzo Chigi – at the presence of President Mario Monti - after the Council of Ministers, which approved the bill on promotion of agricultural areas and containment of land consumption.
"We introduced - Catania explained- a system that basically involves determining the maximum surface extent of agricultural land apt to construction in the country. This quota in then divided between the regions that then distributed it to the single municipalities. In this way we obtain a system which binds the maximum amount of agricultural land to be built upon, harmoniously distributing it throughout the national territory. "
"We want to - Catania added - prohibit the use changes in lands that have received funding from the EU, in fact, these areas now are restricted for five years. Furthermore, the measure intervenes on the system of infrastructure costs of the municipalities. In the current legislation is written that the local administrations can allocate part of the costs’ contributions to cover current the costs of the municipalities, thus diverting from their natural purpose, namely the financing of the works of primary and secondary urbanization. This means that there is a natural tendency in local administrations and private citizens to give the green light to build on new agricultural areas even if there is the possibility to use existing structures. The new rules will surely have an impact on this phenomenon."
These are the main points of the measure:
1. "Agricultural land" are defined all those that, on the basis of the planning instruments into force, have agricultural purposes, regardless of whether they are used for this purpose;
2. We introduced a mechanism to identify, on a national level, the maximum extent of agricultural land .The aim is to ensure a balanced development of regional planning and a balanced distribution between the area susceptible to agricultural use and built / to be built areas;
3. It introduces the prohibition of changing the intended use of agricultural lands that have benefited from state or EU aid. In order to discourage the reckless use of land the measure avoids that lands that have benefited from measures to support agriculture undergo a change of destination and are become part of the urbanization process;
4. It stimulates the recovery of rural buildings to facilitate maintenance, renovation and restoration of existing buildings, rather than the activity of building and construction of new ones.
5. There will be a register, at the Ministry of Agriculture, in which the interested municipalities, whose planning instruments do not include the increase in building areas or an increase below the threshold, can ask to be placed.
6. It abrogates the norm that allows the construction contributions to be partially diverted from their natural purpose and are intended to cover current expenditure by the local authority.
by S. C.
18 september 2012, World News > Italy